First Baptist Church, Staunton…..
First Baptist Church was organized on October 16,1853. Reports of the constituent members vary from 7 to 29 white, and approximately 40 black members.
The first building, at the corner of Beverly and Washington Streets, was dedicated in 1857 with a Sunday School of 110 members and 18 teachers. In 1903, the church occupied its second building, located on the corner of Beverly and Church Streets. The third, and present building, located at West Frederick and St. Clair Streets, was occupied on September 28,1930.
As part of our passion to spread the gospel, First Baptist has helped to organize several other churches. In 1868, letters of dismissal and financial aid were granted to black members to organize a church, now Mount Zion. Financial aid and/or spiritual leadership was given to Waynesboro in 1875, to Ebenezer in 1877, to Greenville in 1884, to Fishersville in 1949, and to three daughter churches in the city in the late 1950’s-Linden Heights Baptist Church, Calvary Baptist Church, and Memorial Baptist Church.
Today, we continue to offer traditional ministry opportunities to the Valley. There has always been a great emphasis on the ministry to the deaf, and all worship services are interpreted. We have live, color TV broadcasts of our Sunday morning worship and varied programs of Bible Study and fellowship. We offer both traditional and contemporary worship at two different services on Sunday mornings. We also have a strong deaf ministry, with the 11:00 service being interpreted. In 2008 we celebrated our 155th year of gospel ministry in Staunton and Augusta County. As we continue the ministry commitments of the past, we also look for new opportunities to serve. We operate a food pantry in addition to our cooperation with SACRA (Staunton Augusta County Regional Agency) and other local mission agencies. Through our cooperative relations with the Virginia Baptist Mission Board and other Southern Baptist entities, we seek to spread the gospel to the ends of the earth. We are a church with a heart for missions in our community and throughout the world.